Wednesday, July 25, 2007

That'll larn 'ee

My grandpa, upon seeing a toad, run over in the road, said

"that'll larn 'ee to be a toad"
I'm not sure where he picked up this line (meaning that that will teach you to be a toad, because if it's in you nature to be stupid enough to walk out into a road, you will reap the consequences) because he didn't have a regional accent.

"That'll larn 'ee to join Opus Dei". I love being a member of Opus Dei. I love this vocation that helps me to live my faith, and also gives me the support that I need to live it. But sometimes it is tough. Members of Opus Dei try to do a number of 'norms' each day, for example 30 mins prayer in the morning, 30 mins prayer in the afternoon, daily Mass, Holy Rosary, spiritual reading. All of it is very helpful if one is trying to live a Christian life, but it is hard to live, especially without an oratory. Living in Ashwell, it was so easy to roll out of bed, take a shower, dress and pray in the oratory, before Mass. Coming home, there was an oratory. Now, after an hour commute, I arrive home, where I have a lovely house, but there is music playing, or the TV is on. There is no oratory. It is so much harder not to get distracted (and I could get distracted in a padded cell, so my starting position is already disadvantaged).

Every person needs to strive to become closer to God and to live a life that is devoted to Him more and more with every day. For me, at this moment of disorder and distraction and exhaustion (and laziness), I suppose that has a lot to do with making a good plan each day, so that I know exactly when and how I will do the norms, so that I can come to love God more...

From: http://superdolly.blogspot.com/search/label/Opus%20Dei

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mention tv and music coming home. If you can, why not just ditch the Telly box (TV). We used to think with a telly inside our head instaed of a Catholic Mind.I do recommend it.It's not possible for many especially in a non-Catholic family, but if you are with or have children then it might be a duty. The modern world -papers- TV- etc. are not contributing to our Life In Christ, will not teach us much about our faith & certainly do little to honour our Divine Lord & oppose his reign in our nation.
Alan Robinson
(rpienne@eircom.net)

Super Duper said...

Ha ha

It's only now 1 1/2 yrs later that I am reading this!!!

Sadly, it ws not my place and not my TV- it belonged to my landlords and I was living with 2 other girls (you don't have much choice as a recent graduate on the kind of wage a small charity pays!)...

On the other hand, I now live in Brussels, where the TV is predominantly in Flemish, which I don't understand, and I don't have a TV. I'm reading alot!

I don't have kids but have worked with kids (in my small charity www.baytreecentre.co.uk) and totally agree that it important to check what kids are watching as it really affects them.

I'm not sure TV is downright evil. Jesus himself spent time relaxing and I don't think there is any harm in watching something specific on TV- all media can have an educational role.

I work in politics now, and whilst a lot of rubbish is spread through media, one of the messages of St Josemaria was to sanctify the world we live in. Politics can be a dirty business, but the politician I work for is someone of great integrity and interior life- we can't dismiss a democratic system merely because it attracts some sketchy characters!!

Similarly, just as the media can transmit dodgy ideas, it can also be a force for good, and I guess we just have to pray for good people to get involved and make the kind of programmes that make people more aware and conscious of beauty, which can lead them to God. : )