Sunday, July 8, 2007

My Faith keeps me strong: Why do I help Alex?

By Rod (posted June 03, 2007)


As a child I grew up in a loving and secure family. I was an 'only child' and despite the perceptions by some that 'only' children are often spoiled I was not. My parents always had high expectations for me, however their most frequently used comment was ' do your best, no one can ask more of you than to do your best.' It is a phrase I often use with my own children and my students at school.

My formative years we moved around quite a lot. My mother is Catholic whereas my father was protestant. I was raised to understand both faiths and it was left to me to decide when I was old enough which religion to follow. Throughout my teenage years I looked into Mormonism, Catholicism and various other religions, yet I always felt most 'at home,' most 'comfortable' sitting in the local Catholic Church. I never felt 'alone' there - I felt as though I 'belonged.' And so it was that I embraced whole heartily the Catholic Church as my spiritual roots.

I have been blessed by having worked all around the world. Indeed I have visited well over 100 different countries - some of which no longer exist today and some of which have changed their names many times over. Throughout these periods of travel I often asked God in my prayers why I was seeing so many things? I asked God why he was blessing me with these opportunities and experiences. The answer never seemed to come forth.

During a serious illness in Mexico I was looked after by a convent of nuns. The convent consisted of four wonderful ladies who between them knew perhaps a half dozen words in English. During my 35 day stay in hospital they tended to my spiritual as well as physical and emotional needs. Despite our major differences in culture, language and even educational level, we formed a love and bond towards each other that will last forever. During this time I prepared for my death many times and always asked our Lord - "Why did you allow me to see so many wonderful things on this earth if I cannot be shown how to use that gift?" Alas the answer never seemed to come forward.

I have always worked within Education and training. My life has revolved around young people. I have seen first hand that it does not matter if you are from Lalibela, Ethiopia or Agra, India, even London, England, your hopes, fears and prayers are basically the same. To be healthy, have a happy family life, a secure family and to do good. I have learned that no matter which God you pray to, or even if you do not pray to one, you seek the same 'spiritual' goals and aspirations.

Opus Dei came into my life whilst in Mexico. The view that you should sanctify the Lord in all that you do seemed so natural. We cannot take our worldly possessions with us when we part this earth but we can impart our knowledge, hopes and loves to others. Perhaps no other vocation is more rewarding than that of teaching. Teachers are born, they are not trained or made. You can improve a teacher but only if they have the fundamental skills to 'teach.' There is no quick fix or injection, no pill to be taken to help you relate to others and impart your experiences to them with the hope that they will in turn make the world better. It is a 'gift' from God.

In Taiwan I fully embraced Opus Dei and our beloved Saint Josemaría Escrivá, I made some of the closest and best friends there whom I remain in contact with. When I moved to Ethiopia I immediately contacted Opus Dei in Nairobi and had several uplifting meetings with its members and co-operators in Addis Ababa. Opus Dei became my family, or rather I became a member of the Opus Dei family. Opus Dei members and centres have always been there for me and my family when we needed them. We have likewise always been there to honour and help Opus Dei members and supporters.

Perhaps because I have always been able to 'hold my own' and perhaps because I have also known total poverty, total loss, perhaps because of that I have had an affinity to those whom the rest of the world 'see' as invisible. I am a magnet for street children, the poor, the rejected, lame, abused and disaffected. Whereas there are those who attract stray dogs or cats, I see and feel ever twinge of pain from those 'invisible' people we brush shoulders with each day.

There is no simple way to describe the feeling. There is helplessness, sadness, anger, fear, love, hope, beauty and a myriad of other emotions and senses which are stirred by these beautiful and valuable human beings that our various societies continue to neglect and let down. One man, one woman cannot change the entire world, but you can change the world of at least one other person. Often we see this reflected in bad actions, but so often the beautiful and spiritual changes go un-heralded, un-noticed - sometimes even un-appreciated by the ones you help. Josemaría Escrivá knew this totally when he founded Opus Dei.

I have discovered in life it is not for us to ask 'Why am I to do this? Why have I been given this empathy?' Sometimes I even want to ask God 'why did you curse me so?' Yet I know He would never ask me to do anything He was not confident I could master. Like my natural parents he only expects me to do the 'best I can.'

The greatest challenge God ever placed upon me has been Alex. Alex is after all from a different culture, religion (for he is Orthodox), socio-economic group, racial group. Alex is as different to me as chalk from cheese, yet there was a bond from the first time we met. I went to great lengths to avoid him. I tried to 'walk away,' my dearest friend Wynn whom Alex first spoke to often times teased me about how the harder I tried to 'escape from Alex' the closer we became. My other son too has often been frustrated by my compulsion to help and raise Alex.

To adopt someone you automatically think baby - not teenager. Even in your own homogenous society you would often shy from adopting a teenager because of the 'baggage' that seems to be permanently attached. But with the hand of God guiding you. With the love of St Josemaría, St Mother Teresa beside you, how can you fail? In all honestly I can only fail Alex if I give up. I can only fail him if I grow tired of the struggle. And yes there are days even weeks when I question my ability to maintain this struggle. Now Alex IS my son, Alex is my family and I MUST overcome the odds.

If you were to ask any of the people who have adopted someone 'why?' and 'what do you get out of it?' they will reply often that it is 'inexplicable' and that yes there are many days they wonder if they made the right decision. Those who have not adopted might never understand the bond that develops and that this bond is every bit as strong as the blood line between a natural father, mother and child. I shy away from using the phrase 'my adopted son…' for in the eyes of many that automatically makes him 'second class' - he IS my son and I AM proud of him. And yes, I love him as any father loves his son.

I pray that through the lessons I have discovered and absorbed through my Opus Dei family; with the Good Grace of God beside me and within me, that I can see this through to the end. As I grew up we used to sing a wonderful song in school ' When a Knight won his spurs in the stories of old….' it is a hymn close to me, close to my goals and hopes.

Without my Catholic faith, without my love and total devotion to Opus Dei I know I could not embark on this daily struggle. It is my prayer that I will be able to follow the example of others who have made a difference one person at a time. As a teacher I get that opportunity each day - I cannot waste it. With Alex I continue with it. And throughout the remainder of my life I must be dedicated to helping, praying for and nurturing those 'invisible' people to be able to take their rightful place at the table with the rest of us.

God's Grace and Good Spirits.

Rod

Oh… and the answer to my prayer… 'Why have I been blessed to see these many wonderful things and what does the Lord wish of me?' That unfolds each day when I look into the eyes of the 'invisible,' when I embrace them, touch them and help them in my own limited way… because God made us of his image and if we keep the 'invisible' out of sight, then we are keeping the Lord out of sight too.


From: http://alex-roadtofreedom.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-faith-keeps-me-strong.html

No comments: