Thursday, July 5, 2007

Saint Josemaria Escriva

By Alexham

In case y'all were unaware, today is the feast day of Saint Josemaria Escriva. I realize that Escriva is a controversial figure, to both Catholics and Non-Catholics alike, but I greatly admire (and share) his vision for the Catholic laity (i.e., that "work is a way to holiness"). It is also my opinion, that much of the controversy surrounding Escriva (and Opus Dei for that matter) is vastly overblown by those who have an axe to grind against traditional Catholicism. And fwiw, I came to this conclusion largely as a result of John Allen's excellent book, "Opus Dei: An Objective Look Behind the Myths and Reality of the Most Controversial Force in the Catholic Church,"* and a fairly exhaustive review of several pro and anti Opus Dei websites.

In any event, for those of you who are interested in learning more about the life of Saint Escriva, you can do so here, here, and here.

Oh, and I meant to do a similar post yesterday on the feast day of my patron saint, Thomas More, but I was unable to do so. Thankfully, Jay Anderson did make time to acknowledge the greatness (and holiness) of Saint Thomas More. Kudos to Jay for an excellent post.

*If I can find the time, I hope to do a review of Allen's book in the near future. In the meantime, I cannot recommend the book highly enough, for many of the reasons already noted in Jeff Miller's excellent review over at the Curt Jester.


From: http://www.vox-nova.com/2007/06/saint-josemaria-escriva.html

No comments: