Friday, June 8, 2007

My family was all pagan until the mid 80s

By John Russel, Jr. of Australia

Climatic zones in Australia, based on Köppen classification.


My family was all pagan until the mid 80s. At this time my older brother began to search for a deeper meaning to life. He wound up getting involved with Opus Dei in about 1987. Soon after he got married. In about 1989 he converted me. I never knew one thing about God or any religion. In 1989 his wife converted from Anglicanism. At her instructions, I went to a parish priest to learn a bit about the faith I never knew. He is a very holy priest, and I usually spend my Thursdays helping him out (my day off work).

My older brother became a cooperator in Opus Dei, so did I, and so did his wife. They now have six children (the oldest 14). They are the most polite, respectful and in general virtuous kids I have ever seen. Many strangers even tell them this.

I have been seeing a priest of Opus Dei for spiritual direction for 15 yrs. They have been seeing him too. The priest is probably a saint. When he got his calling as a young man, and told St Josemaria, he was told if you're going to be a priest you have to be a saint.

I have always had a great love for Opus Dei. My family and friends have received such tremendous blessings and graces from our involvement. My older brother's kids often attend mass during their lunch break, go to frequent confession, pray the rosary, do the first Saturday devotion, etc. But they also have lots of other sport and fun activities. They are extremely well balanced, and very happy with their lives. I am so proud of them.

I have met many other people involved with Opus Dei. And they all make such an effort to make you feel welcome, and to be sure you're alright. These people are the best Catholics I have met.

There is more. My mother came back to the Church in 97. She is not involved with Opus Dei, but has been heavily influenced by it through the rest of us. By our prayers and penances and example.

Two months ago my younger brother came back to the Church and he is now a cooperator (that is, not a member). He has 2 children and they are going to a school run by parents involved with Opus Dei. The children at these schools usually end up good Catholics, unlike the Catholic schools where 98% leave the faith when they leave the school. My older brother's kids go to these schools too. So in my immediate family we have 13/15 as Catholics. The other 2 are on the way. We are praying etc for them, giving them good literature etc.

The image “http://www.pared.edu.au/picture/top_1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Tangara and Redfield School in Sydney

In the early 90's I met a Chaldean Catholic, now RC. He was on his way out of the Church. I spoke at length about the faith, and got him to pray the rosary daily. He has now made over 3000 rosaries for people. Especially in the hospital. How many souls have started praying the rosary because of his efforts, which would never have happened without Opus Dei.

My auntie, uncle and cousin have recently come back to the Church. We are praying hard for their perseverance. Because as with something so beloved by God (as with Opus Dei) the devil works very hard to keep people away. He even tries to turn good Catholics against each other. This should never happen. My auntie brought another lady I know to Mass a few weeks ago. She has not been to Mass for years. I'm praying she sticks.

My older brother converted an entire family about 2 yrs ago. There have been others, and probably many we don't know about yet, who have returned or converted to the Church. And the story is still unfolding. Today I am having 50 Masses offered for everyone I know, especially those most in need. In the past 2 yrs that makes about 750 Masses. Some might say that's over-the-top crazy. But that's what people said to St. Josemaria Escriva, 'You're mad". And he would reply, "Yes. I'm madly in love with God."

The people involved with Opus Dei strive to live with the spirit of the first Christians. And they were damn good Christians. They are not too open, all the time. But, that’s because the enemy is there trying to devour the seed that has been planted. Most people involved with Opus Dei are very happy.

All these conversions, from nothing. All because of Opus Dei.

God bless Opus Dei.


Original taken from: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=1217694#post1217694

No comments: