Wednesday, June 6, 2007

It has been a fantastic journey

By Fergal of Naas, Ireland:

Hi folks! Let me start by saying that I am a supernumerary of Opus Dei.

I grew up hearing my folks say things like "Oh those fella's" and "Stay well clear of them lads" etc. I grew up suspicious and ignorant of the organisation.

St. Josemaria was introduced to me as I lay in a hospital bed, having 16 hrs a day of chemo drugs. I knew nothing about him except that he was the newest Saint in Heaven. His picture was given to me by a Diocesan Priest and it stayed on my bed side locker throughout the 3 months.

Only in 2003 did I start to look into Opus Dei and it has been a fantastic journey. I have to say that as I grew closer to 'the Work'. I fell slowly in love with the wonderful plan God had revealed through St. Josemaria for the laity and how they should respond to the universal call to holiness.

I started to attend monthly recollections, loved what I heard, spoke to their priests, loved what I heard, read St. Josemaria's book, loved what I read and on the 7th of April 2005 in St Peter's Square, Rome I decided to go a step further and ask for admittance. They do not make it easy for you to join! I was made to feel like my desire was not being listened to or acted upon. Again from the suspicions and insecurities I picked up from my poor parents, I expected that I would have been gobbled up. NO!! I had to ask and ask again and it seemed that no one wanted to do anything about my desire. I could have given up but eventually after some months of persistence things started to move, but move very slowly.

Then came the formation! I was given one-on-one lessons by a priest of the Prelature right through the whole Catechism of the Catholic Church and into Catholic Social Doctrine. Again a fantastic experience. I could ask what I wanted, where I wanted, and ask for clarification when I wanted. I found the Priests to be very learned men in all areas of Catholic Doctrine and beyond.

Through the months I got to know the other supernumerary and numerary folk who live about my town and further afield. Again, some of the time the words of my parents came back to haunt me and I got a little worried about a lot of 'what if's' that actually never materialized.

To cut a long story long (apologies folks ) I was admitted to the Prelature as a 'Supernumerary' on Feb 2nd last and I am more and more amazed even on a daily basis at how wonderfully "Catholic" they are. I am so glad that God has put me on this particular path. It is a difficult path but one that proves to be most worthwhile to me in my role as father, husband, son, teacher etc...

At this very moment, a Saturday afternoon, 12 young lads aged from 9 to 13 (my son included) are visiting & entertaining the old folk in the local Hospice. My son brought his recorder with him so that he could entertain them with some music. Just before they leave the Hospice, they will pay a short visit to the Blessed Sacrament (which they do every week), have a short talk on some virtue that they are asked to try to absorb (tidy room, helping mom and dad, sharing, saying daily prayers etc..) and then they will have some hours of orienteering on the Curragh plains!! On other weeks they go horse riding, make props for their upcoming movie, play soccer, have art lessons, go to places of educational, historical and religious importance (a lot of those here in Ireland) all the while doing everything for the love of God and one another.




Look the Church herself has its vehement detractors. If we are hated we must remember that Christ was hated first. If we are ridiculed for our vocation then rejoice and be glad for so is the Church. I would be far more worried if we were seen to conform to worldly standards and receive little or no criticism by the 'enlightened' of this age.

No comments: