Monday, June 4, 2007

I did a decent amount of research on Opus Dei

By Orionsbelt ( December 15, 1964)

My son has attended a Junior High/High School (6th - 12th grades) that is run by Opus Dei for several years. When my son had to transition to high school we allowed him to decide where to go. We investigated several local Catholic HS (we live in the Chicago area so there are a lot to choose from). Ultimately he chose to stay at his school but it was a tough choice for him - he says he wished I hadn't given him the choice because it was too hard. His biggest issue was football. They don't have football at his school because it is too small. He's found lacrosse and is liking it.

First off, to those who say keep your children away because they will be brainwashed. If so, they are terrible at it and I want my money back. My 14 year old son is a pain in the a#@ just like every other 14 year old. But he's also a good kid, getting a good eduction, and learning his Catholic faith in a consistent environment.

I did a decent amount of research on Opus Dei and the particular school before enrolling him. He attended our local parish grade school prior (like my 3 younger kids still do). However, I had still been influenced by some of the negative things I had read and wondered if I would regret it.

I remember an event during his first year at the school that made me much more comfortable. They have a father/son overnight and I was apprehensive - I don't go much for "share your thoughts" type activities and I was expecting to encounter a bunch of gung-ho types.. Well it was about as normal as you can get. Kids played soccer, football, chess, etc. Dads basically did anything they wanted. Some sat and chatted about the same junk I talk about with my regular friends. Some read. Some joined in with the kids. One guy went to his room and slept most of the time.

We all cooked the meals and cleaned up. The dads had a few beers - remember we're Catholic not evangelicals . We got together in the evening with the Principal of the school and some of the other teachers to discuss general topics, the school, and talked about what it means to raise teenagers. Had a bonfire by the lake and said the rosary (those that were interested) - again remember we're Catholic.




I guess a cynic would say they trick you by being just like everyone else.

In case you are wondering about me to evaluate this post:

I am a Catholic who practices my faith (with the same failings as every other Catholic/human) but I am not a member of Opus Dei. I attended a Jesuit HS (and was also a pain in the a#@ at 14) and they didn't brainwash me either.

I've gone to a few of the reflection evenings offered by local Opus Dei people. They are interesting and I go when I feel like it. No one pressures me to join anything.

I socialize with the the other parents at school functions and otherwise. I know some of them are associated with Opus Dei to varying degrees but don't really get into the details.

I am reasonably social and participate in my local parish more than some less than others. My best friend is not Catholic and his kids attend the local public high school. He and his son would have been as comfortable at the father/son overnight as I was - he just wouldn't have participated in the Mass or rosary. My son socializes with his kids and kids from his school probably equal amounts.

As far as money goes the tuition is about the same (give or take) as the other private and/or Catholic schools in the area. There are wealthy people and not so wealthy but no one makes a point of it one way or another - I'm somewhere in the middle if it matters.

Anyway, I really don't understand what all the fuss is about around Opus Dei. It's there for people who want it and many people's lives are enriched by it. If you don't think its for you, no one raises an eyebrow.

I know first hand that the people involved with Opus Dei do good things for the community as individuals, as a school, as an organization, and as Catholics.

The school chaplain is an Opus Dei priest. He is a great guy. He really understands teenagers. Lets them be teenagers when appropriate and sets them straight when they need it. I've known a good number of priest over the years and I really appreciate his participation in my son's education.

Are there goofs? sure a few. But there are goofs in my local youth baseball organization also. Goofs in my parish. Goofs at work. Goofs in my family. You get the picture - you can't judge a group by its goofs.

I hope this gives people window of understanding.

Taken from: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=2039143#post2039143

No comments: