Monday, August 10, 2009

Supernatural justice


By Megan at Metro Catholic

If bare justice is done, people may feel hurt. Always act, therefore, for the love of God, which will add to that justice the balm of a neighbourly love, and will purify and cleanse all earthly love. When you bring God in, everything becomes supernatural. - St. Josemaria Escriva


My six-year-old used to love watching “Frosty the Snowman” and would watch it ad nauseam. The older boys joined her in her quest for snow during the hot Texas summers and would beg to hear me sing the song, (although I come nowhere near Jimmy Durante’s version). But, typical of all children, they would pick up and repeat the three words that would grate on any adult ears… “It’s not fa-a-ir!” Professor Hinkle comes up with this gem, and all three of my darlings could duplicate the inflection perfectly. What’s more, they applied it to events that occur without their consent, be it a desired toy that is not purchased, or a turn that has not come up yet, or a fourth piece of candy. I have tried, to no avail, to explain exactly what is fair and what is not. One such instance presented itself during an exhausting errand-filled morning. Ethan and Noah began to argue about the fairness of a certain scenario proposed by one to the other. An argument ensued and led to the inevitable whine of “It’s not fa-a-ir!” Just at that moment a fellow Texan deftly cut me off, causing me to slam on my brakes and point out to the kids rather uncharitably that what was not fair was getting cut off by some idiot! Luckily, they ignored me, and I lapsed into silence as they continued their fairness debate.

I pondered this issue of fairness and how to impart to my children the virtue of justice. Justice is the only virtue not linked to an emotional response. It is pure reason, giving another what he is due. Justice towards men is defined in the Catechism as “disposing one to respect the rights of each man and to establish in human relationships the harmony that promotes equity with regard to persons and to the common good. The just man (…) is distinguished by habitual right thinking and the uprightness of his conduct towards his neighbour.” (CCC 1807)

Examining my reaction to the near-miss, I realized that even though I was angry, I was not willing to put all of our lives in danger by pursuing the negligent driver and tailing him, or worse, by cutting him off in return! I would rather swallow the injustice, let reason rule my actions, and concentrate on the safety of my family. My response was disposed towards the common good. Surely the negligent driver was “due” some of his own medicine (I get very irate when people are reckless while I have a van full of children) but the common good deserved better. Further, when one is disposed properly in “habitual right thinking and uprightness in conduct towards one’s neighbour” then the common good is automatically taken care of. This is what family life is about! Even when an injustice is committed, and the house echoes with a resounding “Maaa-maaa! Gemma spit at me aga—ain!” I can correct the wrong (quite a problem these days) and give a lesson in the uprightness in conduct towards one’s brothers and sisters. This type of attitude, if cultivated, will aid them all throughout life, especially in dealing with difficult people.

My hope has always been that my children will look on each other as allies in pursuit of the same goal: holiness. The habit of acquiring virtues will enable them to achieve this goal. And what better virtue to instill in them at this age than that which is closest to their hearts? Justice! And guess how our children will learn it best? That’s right, by our example. We need to always be upright in our thoughts and deeds towards others, with the common good in mind, always verbalizing our reasons as to why we do or do not retaliate to injustices suffered.

As for Professor Hinkle, justice was rightly doled out by St Nick in ordering the professor to write that he was sorry “a hundred zillion times”. While I doubt that the common good was thus recompensed, I assume that the professor thought twice before stealing any more hats from talking snowmen. Sometimes this avenue is necessary in instilling the virtue of justice, especially when dealing with young children, or reckless drivers

No comments: