Thursday, October 25, 2007

I have hope when I see Opus Dei and other faithful organizations in action

Question from Terry on 11/10/2005 at EWTN Catholic Q&A

Dear Father,

Question then a comment.

It seems to me that Opus Dei is attacked primarily because it affirms the truth of the catholic church and is uncompromising regarding the faith. It always seems the devil follows after something holy to either mimic it, deconstruct it, and/or cause scandal. Even so, I have hope when I see Opus Dei and other faithful organizations in action. Is Opus Dei growing?

Also, a quick testimony. Thank you for your efforts here and at EWTN. I felt compelled to affirm Opus Dei and its good works, as it is highly likely that I was redirected back to the catholic faith by one of its faithful members.

I have always had a fondness for Opus Dei, as a friend of mine is a member of Opus Dei. 15 years ago, I told a friend that "I had intellectual issues with the catholic church." His answer was to give me a book titled "Theology and Sanity" by Frank Sheed. The result took a few years, as God worked on me, till I finally read the book, it was then that I realized how unintellectual I had been, as that book blew me away. I clearly needed a catholic intellect, and I did not have one, but one formed by many influences that were false.

There is good theology and bad theology. There is good faith and bad faith (which is really not faith at all). Opus Dei is about helping good faith thrive. As Christ truly wants us to live according to our state in life as the daily struggles are what God uses to mold us and shape us.

I am not a member of Opus Dei, but over the last 15 years I have heard people attack it, and as of late, with the assistance Dan Brown book, so much the more. I will always defend the catholic church, and for that matter the principles of Opus Dei and its faithful members.

I wanted to thank you for your good works as well.

Answer by Fr. John Trigilio on 5/25/2006:

Thank you. As a Cooperator in Opus Dei, I get many questions and since my car's license plate is OPUS DEI, I get many strange looks. Dan Brown's ludicrous book and the offensive movie based on it ("the Da Vinci Code") are both PROPOGANDA, i.e., lies and deceptions. EWTN on the other hand, transmits only the TRUTHS of our faith.

The blessing of EWTN and Opus Dei and all those elements of the church LOYAL to the Magisterium is that it fulfills what Jesus refers to in the Gospel when He says "You are LIGHT of the world; You are the SALT of the earth."

When Christians spread the light of truth, they are doing the will of God. When the Devil is called the Prince of Darkness it is because he is also the Author of All Lies. Error loves darkness since it can grow more and more dangerous when it cannot be seen. Truth wants to illumine the mind and to be in the open. EWTN and Opus Dei are out in the open and have nothing to hide.

No comments: