Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Escriva's Legacy to Opus Dei and to the World

By Prof. Bro. Dave Ceasar Dela Cruz, CCS in νέος λειτουργοὺς.

Liturgy is the source and summit of Christian life, it also points to the life of the Church. Spirituality is always rooted in the liturgy.

Saint Josemaria, during his priestly ministry, celebrated the liturgy in the most perfect way he can. He believed that when we celebrate liturgy, the spirituality of a Christian is enriched so that his life may be patterned on how the Church worship... perfect, holy - just as our Father in heaven is perfect and holy.

Many criticized the liturgical celebrations of the prelature as if they are so conservative or traditional. I can say, "hahaha". They may be conservative to the point that they really follow the liturgical norms. Traditional because they do what they already practiced before in their own local Church.

Opus Dei preserved the beauty and sanctity of the liturgy in the very best way we can. This is a challenge for the local Church and in every parishes.

If you will attend liturgical celebrations of the prelature, you can say that Christ is present because the liturgy is so solemn and perfect because Christ himself solemnly work on our lives and makes perfect everything on earth for the glorification of the Father. How I wish that every liturgical celebration be like that in our diocese and in our country.

Another thing I want to point out is their love for the beauty of the vessels and vestments. Our professors in liturgy, my classmate priest during his homily on the 1st Mass of a new priest of their order, and even some liturgical authors professed that the beauty of the vessels and of the vestments reflects the dignity and beauty of the liturgy and of the sacraments which they received.

I remember one time in my former work place, I pity all the sacred vessels because they are rusted and dirty... Never ever I used such vessels. The vestments, Oh my! Horrible! In every major celebrations of the institute were I work before, I tried to brought out every collections of antique vestments and vessels in my house for the use of the celebration. In every liturgical celebration, you teach the people on the beauty of the liturgy on earth that reflects the liturgy in heaven! Much more with the kids, while they are young, let them see beauty of the liturgy for it is the foretaste of heaven on earth!

Now that I am moving to my new and own house, one room is dedicated to be an oratory for my private use and for visitors of the office of the Vice Postulation. I really made a point that everything in the oratory be perfect and beautiful. It doesn't only reflect my love for liturgy, being a liturgist, but the presence of the perfect and holy God when I pray the liturgical prayers...

The Prelature of the Opus Dei and of the Holy Cross and the whole Christendom will celebrate the feast of Saint Josemaria on Saturday, June 26. I am very grateful for the spirituality that El Padre taught me through my spiritual fathers of the prelature. Never ever will I abandoned the teachings of El Padre for I knew his great love for the Church, the love that led him to sufferings, trials, and misunderstanding as a way of purification.

May Saint Josemaria be an inspiration for us all!

No comments: