Friday, March 19, 2010

Why are Opus Dei centres not signposted?

Question and answer at Opus Dei today

Leo:

I have a friend who goes to an Opus Dei centre and when I went to it, I noticed that there was no sign outside indicating that it was Opus Dei. Why is that? I mean if you want people to know you're there.. wouldn't it make sense to show that "Here!.. this is an Opus Dei centre"! Thanks.

leo


Pam:

Hi Leo,

I always think about a center as a family home. Wouldn't you be surprised if while you go by the street you see a sign in front of each house saying "Mary Smith's home" or "John Black's house"? I think the same about an Opus Dei center. The numeraries (celibate members) live there and the "center" is actually a home so it would be a little weird to have a sign outside... I'm sure you realized that when you accompanied your friend, you realized it wasn't a "club" or "college" with classrooms but a family home with living rooms, right? On the other hand, I believe each diocese has the address and names of the Opus Dei members working in their diocese so there is in fact no secrecy.

I hope I answered your question. I do not live in a center, I'm a married woman, but I feel at home everytime I go to a center. Opus Dei is like a family within the big family of the Church and its Founder, St. Josemaría Escrivá, wanted the centers to be like family homes...

All the best,

Pam

Leo:

OK.. thanks Pam. But I don't think Opus Dei is like a family.. I mean it's an established organisation in the church, right... so, like any other organisation - they have their places ear-marked on the map so people can go to them. I mean.. Opus Dei centres are also places where people receive standard information from the organisation like talks and stuff.


Pam:

Hi again!

I was glad to see you came back to read the answer ;O)

Yes, you're right in saying Opus Dei is an institution, among the many that exist within the Catholic Church. But you don't receive "standard information", actually the idea is to give you formation, doctrine, that help you know your faith better, to help you know Christ better.

I will encourage you to keep going to the center with your friend. That's the best way you can get to know more about Opus Dei itself. Please keep writing if you have more question, we're glad to help!

All the best,

Pam

Leo:

Ok, thanks Pam. I kind of understand it now. I guess it's just the whole secrecy thing people keep harpping on about it and the signposting is one of those things that they like to use to "prove" their point: "you see there!.. they don't even show where they give their talks!"... but I understand it pretty much if they are a family and they live in a home.. I wouldn't like my home to have neon lights either!

Roque:

I'm glad Leo asked that question about signposting Opus Dei Centers as Opus Dei Centers. Pam's answer may make sense if a person knows Opus Dei very intimately. Though in some part of the world the mailboxes carry the name of the Family who lives in that house.

Most Centers used by Opus Dei members that have a public status like the Center where I reside in Iloilo City, Philippines, have a sign that names the Center. The Center in Iloilo is called Tuburan Study Center and it has a sign visible next to the entrance. But the sign does not say that it is an Opus Dei Center. But if you read the brochures for public distribution about the activities in this Center the phrase: "The spiritual direction of Tuburan Study Center is entrusted to Opus Dei, a Personal Prelature of the Catholic Church." appears in the brochure. No secrets here at all.

The reason why we do not sign-post the Center as an Opus Dei Center is because most centers are not owned by Opus Dei. It's that simple. The Centers themselves, the physical structures, are not owned by Opus Dei itself. They are usually owned by a local Foundation whose trustees may or may not be members of Opus Dei. For example the Tuburan Study Center where I live is owned by the Daguaio Foundation, not by Opus Dei.

I've been in Opus Dei for 40 years now more or less and I never heard if it was explicitly forbidden to sign-post a center as an Opus Dei Center as if we were trying to hide something. Who knows perhaps someday it would be done. Perhaps never. It really is no big deal. But I do understand Leo's concern.

Somehow, by word of mouth people get to know that a particular Center is run by Opus Dei. And people who want to know about Opus Dei can write the official web site and get info as to where they could go for activities organized by Opus Dei. They will be given the contact numbers or addresses of the Center closest to where they live.

Hope my comments help clarify Leo's question.

No comments: