Friday, September 18, 2009

Opus Dei Cooperator Tells Of Life As An Acrobat In Las Vegas




Grzegorz Roś, from Poland, is 29. He works as an acrobat in Las Vegas. “My profession allows me to entertain people and to ‘amuse’ God,” he says. Grzegorz is a cooperator of Opus Dei.

What exactly is your work?

I’m one of 85 acrobats who take part in a show called "Le Rêve" (The Dream). The director is Franco Dragone. It’s a spectacular show that could take place only in Las Vegas. With a pool as the setting, we combine sport and art at a high level of technical proficiency. Many of my companions are world famous acrobats who have won medals in international gymnastics, acting, dance, and music competitions.

How did you discover your talent?

I started performing acrobatics as a child; it’s a popular sport in my hometown, Złotoryia, Poland. My trainers suggested that I take it up as a career, and with a friend, Tomasz Wilkosz, I created an acrobatic duo. When we heard about a new production on the other side of the Atlantic, we went to Paris for an audition and were accepted.

How is your life in Las Vegas?

Life in Las Vegas is intense. People come here from all over the world, from many cultures, religions and convictions. For my colleagues, Christianity is just one more among these cultures and religions. This is truly a place where it’s easy to forget the fundamental ideas that guide one’s life.

At first sight, it could seem that this “city of leisure,” situated in the middle of a desert, is the least appropriate place to find God and encounter spiritual peace. But it’s not that way. Here I’ve learned to deepen my friendship with God in daily life, which in my case usually takes place on a trapeze or flying through the air, working with people with all kinds of different ideas.

Exactly what do acrobats do?

Perform pirouettes well, acting in unison, synchronizing our acrobatics with each other, and doing so day after day—it’s not easy work. Sometimes we experience physical pain. But I think this work enables me to serve people, to help them rest, and even to “amuse” God. And so I try to put everything I have into each performance.

How did you get in touch with the Work?

Before coming to the United States, I received as a gift three books by St. Josemaría Escrivá: The Way, Furrow and The Forge. I asked for more information and got in touch with a member of Opus Dei in Las Vegas. Soon I began to take part in activities of Christian formation. Since then, between performances, I try to do some mental prayer every day.

My work requires a lot of almost routine repetition of the same exercises. That takes a lot of physical effort, concentration and precision. The spirit of Opus Dei helps me do my work better, since I know that God is the main spectator.

How do you see your future in Las Vegas?

Well, in this city the Work is still growing. We are few, but the need to be more is so evident that it fills us with eagerness. I cooperate with Opus Dei by prayer and by my apostolate. Bringing others to God is like acrobatic artistry: not everything depends on what you try to do, on your human abilities, although these are essential elements. I can’t do much by myself; but with the others and God, I can.

No comments: