Friday, February 27, 2009

I have known Opus Dei for the last 25 years

By Alan Frederick in Catholic Answers Forum.

I will give my experiences and knowledge and each one can form their own opinion.

I am not a member of Opus Dei but on the other hand have known them for the last 25 years. Actually I came to know about them when I worked in Spain. My company had sent me overseas as Financial Director for our Spanish operation. As you know Opus Dei was born in Spain. They are traditional, faithful to the Magisterium. By this I don't mean ultra conservative. By traditional I mean that they are faithful to the Hierarchy of the Church especially the Holy Father, The Church Tradition and Scripture.

Their charism is forming the faithful so that they can go out into the world (world meaning their families and professional occupation and social life) and take the Good News of Jesus Christ into the world. The reason they ask their members for money is in order to further their charism which is to educate the laity in Theology and Philosophy and other Catholic education to empower them for Evangelization. There is nothing extreme about this group. They are very committed to the Faith and to the works of the Church. They don't vacillate in their doctrine. They are solid Catholic recognized by the Church by Pope John Paul II and by the current Pope Benedict XVI. So there you have it.

I am a Seminarian at Sacred Heart School of Theology in Wisconsin. My current spiritual Director is a Priest of OPUS DEI.

I personally recommend anyone to go and meet and learn. They are not a cult or have witch craft. They strictly follow Catholic Doctrine and are trying to build a better Christian world.

No comments: