Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Authentically Catholic

By a political scientist, 3 October 2008

Yesterday was the 80th anniversary of the founding of the Opus Dei by St Josemaria Escriva. I wish all my friends at Opus Dei a blessed anniversary!

The Opus Dei has been such a blessing to me. The priests there have heard my confession hundreds of times over the last three years (this has been such a gift). First Fr Michael and now Fr Marin have been such gentle, friendly and able spiritual guides for to me. At first I baulked at the idea of having a spiritual director and meeting him regularly. Now I can't do without it! It's so good to have someone wise and experienced to advice you and guide you. And they do it so gracefully. Spiritual direction is not scary or awkward at all ("so my friend, how has your week been?")

I've had circles (classes on the spiritual life) with Dr Ignacio, Claro and Dr Alvin and I've gained so much from them. It has helped me serve the Legion better too. I now attend, with Paul, Ferdi, Jordi, Ajith and Evan a super interesting class on Catholic doctrine with Dr Alvin. His lecturing abilities surpass most of my professors' and his jokes are priceless. He opens up for us the wealth of the Catholic Church's treasury of doctrine and teaching.

The spirituality of the Opus Dei is authentically and heroically Catholic, truly - as our Holy Father has said - "God's work"

It's great to have a beautiful oratory to pray at so near school - always a sanctuary where prayer is much easier.

The library has been a vital resource too for my own spiritual reading, for my apostolate and as help in writing allocutios and articles.

The Opus Dei retreats I have attended have been so refreshing and I come out of them with good resolutions and inspirations. The gatherings, the dinners, the barbeques, the interesting conversations about books, religion, philosophy are all cherished.

Yes I've been blessed! And I thank God for the Opus Dei!

By a political scientist

No comments: