Monday, August 4, 2008

You, basketball player, join us!


By Chris Tiu in Chris' Blog. Chris Tiu is a famous college basketball player in the Philippines.

Tuesday, a day to be remembered throughout my life. I was not only able to meet the Prelate of Opus Dei, Don Javier (who happens to be in the country for a couple of days) but i was able to kiss his ring not once, not twice, but three times!

Opus Dei is a Catholic group founded by St. Josemaria Escriva that has thousands of followers all over the world. My mom is a supernumerary, and with her connections, she was able to come up with a special arrangement for me to meet the Father at the Maynilad men's center. I was also able to join a special "get together session" of about 20 people in that same center (normally there would be hundreds and thousands of people in attendance in the sessions in SMX). My mom was not even able to personally meet the Father this time around. He is probably in his late 70s but still has a very sharp memory. Despite being the highest in the organizational hierarchy of Opus Dei, he is very down-to-earth. At the same time, he is treated with utmost reverence and respect. I was in awe, he was like a living symbol of all the virtues we needed to possess in life.

In the small get-together session, he spoke in Spanish while the Vicar (Father Duran) translated it to English for us. He told us that the closer we are to God, the happier we will be in life! We can achieve this through deep constant prayer with our Father in the Blessed Sacrament as well as by receiving the different Sacraments. I totally agree with him. He also shared a story about Pope John Paul II who spent most of his time in the Blessed Sacrament talking to God as his source of rest and refuge.

After the short get-together, there was a simple photo-session but i just stood and watched at the back of the room. He personally called me "You, basketball player, join us!" I was very touched! He even remembered me from the time we were introduced a couple of hours earlier. His words and stories got me thinking about my own life. I was truly moved. I want Christ to be the center of my life as well. We are all instruments of the Father and it is our mission / apostolate to bring Christ to others. Amen.

By Chris Tiu in Chris' Blog

No comments: