Thursday, July 3, 2008

Saints in business suits, janitor uniforms, blue jeans, t-shirt and sneakers


By Margaret, who commented on Olivia Darby's article on Opus Dei

THANK YOU Olivia for such a great column.

I am a supernumerary on the other side of the Pond from you, and then across the country from there to California. :-) I think we're even more thinly spread here than you are in the UK.

And you are so right about the superwoman bit-- I have eight kids. Believe me, there have been many days when superpowers would have come in handy. (Bi-location, in particular, if you're listening, Lord!!!)

I honestly had to laugh out loud when I read the Da Vinci Code, because it was just so obvious that the author had never actually spent time around people in the Work. I like normal people. I have no interest in spending my free time hanging around with brainwashed zombies who alternately beat themselves senseless and kill people. :-) If the Work had been filled with anything other than normal, kind, funny people, I would have passed right along and never given it a second thought.

As it is, I view my vocation as how God intends me to be a saint, and hopefully my family and friends too. The statues in church can be a bit misleading, because those saints are nearly all in religious habits. I hope Opus Dei's contribution to society will be many, many saints in business suits, janitor uniforms, or in my case, blue jeans, t-shirt and sneakers.


No comments: