Thursday, July 3, 2008

I found great friendship

By mmr at the Catholic Answers Forum. She is a fitness instructor from Ireland

My experience of Opus Dei has been really good. But as somebody mentioned, it's a vocation, so God and no one else will tell you if it's for you.

I have found great friendship and support and advice amongst the people of Opus Dei, and most importantly, sound non-judgemental advice both spiritually and humanly.

But equally I have friends who have felt it too intense for them. I think it has a huge amount to do with your stage in life and your temperament. If you are feeling stressed, or have a tendency to be a perfectionist, or not speak up for yourself when you feel uncomfortable about something, then it's probably not a good mix. Opus Dei members are hugely apostolic, and I don't think they try and hide or apologize for it: it's why they exist.

I really don't get how they are constantly accused of being secretive. I have never met a more assertive bunch ( in a healthy way). So if you think you are being pressured you have to be clear and articulate about that and set boundaries. I push back all the time. But honestly I also get such a positive reaction when I do, I think its almost encouraged.

I think that Opus Dei is a great organization, trying to help people get closer to God and to be better people. It's just not for everyone.

No comments: