Thursday, May 24, 2007

What vocations are available for lay people?

Answers to a thread at Catholic Answers Forum:

Opus
Dei is a personal prelature of the church that is largely for lay people. I have been involved with it for about a year now and am making good use of the catechesis they offer. They are so sound in doctrine and so faithful to the Church! I was so amazed.
For more info visit: http://www.opusdei.org/
- posted by unworthy

I second the Opus Dei suggestion -- particularly if you do not feel especially drawn to any of the lay branches of the religious orders (ie, the Dominicans, Carmelites, Franciscans). Opus Dei is a great place to simply find help "getting on track" with your spiritual life, and then if you do feel drawn to one of the orders you can move on as the Lord calls. Opus Dei itself can also be a vocation, of course.

I've been going informally to their catechetical offerings for over a year now, and receiving spiritual direction from one of the supernumeraries. I am not a member nor in any way affiliated with them, other than as a participant. I've found Opus Dei to be a great place for support in the spiritual life for the laity at all stages (married or unmarried), whether or not you actually have a specific vocation to Opus Dei or not.

I like to pop over to www.escrivaworks.org every day and just randomly click on something that Escriva wrote - it never ceases to give me encouragement and inspiration in my common work-a-day struggles!

posted by +veritas+

Yes, Opus Dei is a prelature devoted mostly to lay people. I'm also receiving spiritual direction from one of the numeraries and am attending meditations. I love it; it's very uplifting. May you find the vocation most suited for you. Much love,

-Alison

Taken from: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=122529&highlight=opus+dei

No comments: