Saturday, December 18, 2010

Any influence Opus Dei may have at IESE is understated

Letter to the Editor of Financial Times. December 13 2010 05:25 | Last updated: December 13 2010 05:25

From Mr Chris Daniels.

Sir, I read with interest your article on the University of Navarra’s Iese Business School and its links with Opus Dei (“A matter of faith”, FT Wealth, Winter 2010 edition). However, I was rather disappointed with the lack of balance about Opus Dei’s influence that came across.

I am head of Iese’s UK Alumni Association, a voluntary position nominated by Iese Business School. Yet I am not a member of Opus Dei, nor even a Catholic. I chose Iese because it is a great business school with an interesting mix of people and a strong ethical stance.

In my two years there, at no stage did I get any pressure to be involved with Opus Dei – in fact quite the contrary – the international students asked for a talk on Opus Dei after the first term because its presence was so unpronounced and we wanted to find out what all the fuss was about!

As for the chapel being in the centre of the Barcelona campus – it took me a year to discover this fabled building, tucked away below ground level. I am sure Opus Dei has an influence on Iese, but all I saw of it was that it was understated, and
I only saw a positive in that it may give the school an extra ethical dimension.

It was great that the article did mention a lot of the unique and world-leading aspects of Iese, but to spend the majority of the article on something that was rather incidental to most MBA students, particularly those from outside Spain, seemed to lack the balance that the FT is famous for.

Chris Daniels,

London NW1, UK

No comments: