Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The First Priest of Xavier School

Interview with Fr. Jimmy Liao, Xavier School, posted 14-Jun-2005 8:20 AM

Fr. Jimmy Liao was the first Xaverian who became a priest. He graduated from Xavier School in 1966 and pursued BS Commerce in Accounting in De La Salle University. Then, he became a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) in 1970. Even though he had great qualifications in the field of Business, he still decided to follow his vocation and join the priesthood. He was ordained to the priesthood in Madrid , Spain in 1977, and soon after, he enrolled in the Doctorate in Sacred Theology program of the Universidad de Navarra in 1979 soon after his ordination.

What lessons, if any, did you absorb from Xavier School? I can never repay Xavier School for inculcating in me: seriousness in studies, religious piety, and service to others. I always remember Xavier’s motto: “Luceat Lux”, to let the light shine, specially the light of faith. The Jesuit formation values not only reason and logic, but also fosters high ideals.

As a priest for almost 30 years, are you happy with your vocation? Definitely very happy, with no regrets to being a servant of God.

How does your schooling in Xavier influence you to be a priest, if I may ask?

I would say that Xavier School prepared the ground for me to receive a vocation. The seed of the vocation to Opus Dei, a Personal Prelature composed of lay people and secular priests, was planted when I was at La Salle . My training and work as a CPA gave me a perspective to pursue spiritual bookkeeping and come up with income statements that show a spiritual profit. Material profits are transitory and ephemeral, while spiritual profit is lasting and forever. Material profits can never be equal to the spiritual profit of closeness to God.

What are your fondest memories of Xavier School? Fr Louis Papilla and the Sodality. Fr Papilla touched my life quite profoundly. In fact he was the one who endorsed me to be a scholar at La Salle , where I was introduced by a Xaverian classmate, Tony Chua, to Opus Dei’s activities and eventually joined it as a Numerary lay member in 1968.

What is your thought on minimizing conflicts between Islam and Christianity? I am not a deep thinker. But for my two cent’s worth, my opinion is: Love each other as I (Jesus) love you. Fr Rafael Cortina told one of our classmates that a Xaverian, a medical doctor and also a deacon of the United Evangelical Church, could be considered a good Christian since he visited quite often the Jesuit priests who were sometimes sick in the Jesuit House. This type of behavior of Christian love will certainly reduce conflicts among religions.

Off the record, how do you react as a priest to temptations of the flesh? Prayer, mortification, apostolic zeal and hard work. I remember what Fr Daniel Clifford advised us sometime in 1965 during Religion class: “For 1 minute of pleasure, why should you sacrifice eternity?” I would modify the above: For 1 minute of pleasure, is the risk worth it?

Given that all those belonging to batch 66 are likely in the age range of 5:30 , what advices can you give for them to face depression and mortality? I myself am already 56 years old. Another 10, 20 or 30 years, either I will be attending funerals of other classmates or my classmates will be attending my funeral. Life is short. Jesus died because of love for others. Some people died for money. Others for fame. Even not a few died without knowing why. How about dying for love? Given the shortness of life, my 1 peso worth of opinion: 1) What you do now, ask yourself: when you stand in the eternity of time, would you do it? This viewpoint of eternity of time will change one’s perspective, values and decisions; 2) I strongly recommend doing physical exercises to promote blood circulation, and also to protect the temple of God .

When you decided to become a priest, how did you handle the objections of your parents? Though they did object to my vocation, I prayed very hard and stayed firm in my decision. I missed their presence on the day of my ordination in Spain in 1977. Soon after, through the dealings of some Opus Dei members with them, my parents came to understand my calling and appreciate it a lot. In fact, my late father began to take up catechism classes and, upon my return from Spain in 1979, I baptized him with the name of Josemaria, as a sign of my devotion and gratitude to St. Josemaria Escriva, Founder of Opus Dei.



Pastoral Ministry of Father Jimmy Liao

1977-79 Chaplain of Club Indar, Vitoria ( Spain ) while pursuing Masteral and Doctorate studies in Pamplona; 1979-81 Chaplain of Samar Study Center , Q.C., Philippines; 1981-85 Chaplain of Shiu Fai Cultural Center, Hong Kong; 1985-91 Chaplain of Cheng Jung Study Center , Taipei ( Taiwan ); Spiritual Director of Taipei Minor Seminary ( Taiwan ); 1991-96 Chaplain of Samar Study Center , Q.C., Philippines; 1996-2003 Chaplain of Tak Sun Kindergarten and Primary School, Hong Kong; 2003-2006 Chaplain of Heshan University; Residence, Taipei ( Taiwan; Professor/Spiritual Director of Taiwan; Regional Major Seminary, Taipei ( Taiwan ); 2006 - Present Chaplain, Stella Orientis Chapel, University of Asia and the Pacific, Pasig, Philippines

1 comment:

Josephine said...

This is interesting, thank for sharing this valuable post. Nice blog!