Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Alternative Feminism

By Anne Marie Walker in Times

St Valentine's Day is an important day for most people but this year it is especially important. Why? Is it going to be particularly chocolate-filled? Will there be a mountain of roses? No. It will be the 80th anniversary of the start of the women's section in Opus Dei and as a woman in Opus Dei that's really important to me.

Opus Dei began life on 2 October 1928 when a young Fr Josemaría Escriva caught the tiniest glimpse of God's plan for him within the Catholic Church. At that time, he believed that it would only be for men. However, two years later, while celebrating Mass on 14 February 1930, he realised that women were very much part of Opus Dei.

Sixty-two years later, in January 1992, I joined those women of Opus Dei. At the time I was an undergraduate studying English and Publishing from a Marxist and Feminist perspective. Feminism, as far as I could make out, was defined as women imitating men in the worst possible ways. Needless to say I was not impressed so I was fascinated to discover the Catholic Church's teaching on an alternative Feminism.

No comments: