Sunday, January 25, 2009

Vocation to Opus Dei is to bring forth the "I" of Christ


By Fr. Robert O'Connor in The Truth Will Make You Free

Divine filiation as an ontological reality, and not necessarily humility, is the grounding truth of Opus Dei.

This makes sense since Opus Dei is “a little bit of the Church.” And since the Church is the “I” of Christ, it would make sense that the vocation to Opus Dei is to bring forth that “I” and raise it to act.

As then-Joseph Ratzinger remarked: “(C)onversion in a Pauline sense is something much more radical than, say, the revision of a few opinions and attitudes. It is a death-event."

"In other words, it is an exchange of the old subject for another. The ‘I’ ceases to be an autonomous subject standing in itself. It is snatched away from itself and fitted into a new subject. The ‘I’ is not simply submerged, but it must really release its grip on itself in order then to receive itself anew in and together with a greater ‘I.’"

No comments: