Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ex-member: I remain very much in love with Opus Dei

By Juan Math Geek in Catholic Answers Forum. Juan Math Geek is a 26 year-old graduate student.

I went through the temporary period of celibacy for several years but in the end I did not continue to make the commitment permanent. It takes normally about 6 years of having to renew the commitment every year, and on the 6th renewal it is for a permanent committment.

Let me just say that for me, in the end, it didn't work out.

Nevertheless, I remain very much in love with Opus Dei.

The thing is, as you search the web, you will encounter commentary that puts Opus Dei very negatively. Some of those who write these criticisms are former numeraries. I cannot say that I understand their point of view, as I can never know what they went through, but I disagree with many of the negative things former numeraries say. I do understand many of the difficulties they cite, but I believe whatever happened to them does not mean there is essentially something wrong with Opus Dei itself, as it is a spiritual path in essence.

So it saddens me to read what they say, like they were insulting my own mom. If you ever come across those criticisms, do consult people from both sides first, and I personally would be very glad to discuss. Not all former numeraries end up hating Opus Dei you know

http://www.escrivaworks.org/

http://www.josemariaescriva.info/

these are great sources of information

No comments: