Sunday, June 22, 2008

Practicing normal ordinary Catholicism in a very real daily way

By Carrie, writing for Wedding at Cana

The whole premise of Opus Dei is calling each person to holiness in their ordinary life 'work' ... in their individual vocation. You as a wife, mother, homeschooler, Chiropractor. Me as a wife, etc. The factory worker is called to be a saint just like the Pope and that Carmelite nun.

The spirituality is nothing new. It is just focused on practical approaches to a life of virtue in the midst of daily challenges and struggles. For instance: one of the talks on the retreat was a in-depth look at what the virtue of friendship looks like and what it doesn't look like. That talk was wonderful! Its all good so far. I have not seen anything in the least bit unbalanced. Nor have I seen anything bizarre or out of the ordinary. This really is just practicing the normal ordinary Catholicism in a very real daily way.

The main focus and attention is on the Sacraments as a means of Grace in an effort to make Christ the center of thought, action, and life. The Eucharist, of course, is the supreme unity available to us. Our True Food for this journey to the Kingdom of God.

It also stresses that it isn't just about where we spend the rest of eternity but how many people we can bring with us by being the 'salt' and 'light' of the world... by being truly effective on the world around us by 'walking the walk' (only if necessary talking the talk)!

This really is worth investigating for any Catholic or person that is taking Christ and the Gospel really seriously. All of the events are open to people to come and see... NO secret society stuff!

I have gone to their 'circles' for about 9 months and have now started doing the monthly recollections for the last 4 months. This past weekend was my first silent retreat. All of it has been beyond good. This retreat and the women's recollections have been exceptional. (9AM-12PM on the 3rd Fridays each month at my parish, St. Peter's in Spring Grove, IL. Fr. 'Rocky' and Fr. Lange have done most all of them. All are welcome! Childcare is provided for a small fee.)

This is my take. I already told Julie, my closest friend, along with Jim, my sweet, that I can't imagine that God is calling only me of our 'group' to this. If I have to, I will drag her and you all along with me... but it would be much easier if you just jump on board without the power struggle.

God has given us this wonderfully practical and balanced way to achieve the goal of our heart of hearts... unified life with our Christ. This is a Saint making factory for lay, priest and religious alike. Please join me in diving deeper into this great Work of God, Opus Dei. Yes, you can consider this your personal invitation.... because He and I love you so very much!

No comments: